Job TITLE: Ecotourism Project Manager
OPEN TO/ ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: All qualified candidates
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia (with frequent travel in the region).
SunChild Eco Tours is FPWC’s (Foundation for the Preservation of Wildlife and Culture Assets) eco-tourism project. The project’s objective is to connect community development and nature conservation with a sustainable tourism concept basing on the idea to promote Armenia as an ideal destination for nature lovers.
Sub task: Manager of the Eco-training Center in Caucasus Wildlife Refuge (CWR)
An important pillar of SunChild Eco Tours is the Urtsadzor Eco-center, located in FPWC’s protected area the Caucasus Wildlife Refuge (CWR) nearby Khosrov Forest State Reserve. The Eco-center is an ideal starting point for outdoor activities, including hiking, horseback riding, and wildlife watching. The Center has four sleeping rooms (up to 8 person), kitchen, two bathrooms, cockloft for overnight in sleeping bags (up to 30 person) and big hall offering comfortable accommodation as well as a good venue for organization of conferences, workshops and seminars.
The Ecotourism Project Manager acts as the focal point to address all ecotourism related technical matters of the FPWC.
Action Plan Development and Implementation
Work Plan Development and Implementation
Strategy Development and Implementation
Overall Tourism Management (including bookings, guiding etc)
Partnership Development and Networking (Interact with donors, Government, partners, communities, other NGOs with an interest in ecotourism)
Monitoring and Evaluation, Reporting
Communications (Good knowledge in social media, online marketing tools)
This Job Description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s preferred in natural resources management, environmental or conservation management, development studies, tourism management
- Minimum two years’ experience of relevant work.
Experience of working in international and/or non-governmental agencies would be an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent knowledge of English, Russian and Armenian languages
- Ability and willingness to work in villages
- Ability to travel and stay overnight if necessary
- Problem analysis and assessment
- Judgment and problem solving
- Planning and organizing
- Information gathering and monitoring
- Coaching skills
Based on qualifications and work experience.
Please send your CV, motivation letter, and three recommendation letters to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning “Ecotourism manager” in the subject line of your message.
Deadline for Applications: 25th of March
Established in 2002, the Foundation for the Preservation of Wildlife and Cultural Assets (FPWC) is Armenia’s leading foundation for the protection and conservation of the country’s unique natural heritage. Working at the crossroads of wildlife protection, environmental education, as well as community and infrastructure development, the foundation emphasizes the involvement of rural populations in the sustainable development of Armenia. In all its projects, FPWC advocates for mutual respect between human beings, the natural environment, and cultural heritage, as these are indispensable conditions for the positive development of Armenia.
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia with at least 50 % of time driving to Vayotz Dzor region
DURATION: Fixed-term, 1.5 year with possibility of further hiring in FPWC
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Business Facilitator will be responsible for project implementation in Vayots Dzor area. This includes the operation of the Business Facilitation Unit, as well as timely reporting and execution of activities defined in Project LogFrame/Implementation Plan /25 % of work time/
Business Facilitator will be also responsible for small business development, including provision of advice, referrals and networks to beneficiaries, as well as coaching and support to CBC (Community Based Council) /75 % of work time/.
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the promotion of tourism and culture in Vayots Dzor region with a view to enhancing economic development and reducing poverty in these target areas. The project will generate greater economic benefits for over 15 targeted communities creating employment and self-employment opportunities for locals; it will also improve working conditions and access to the market of tourism. The project will contribute to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage and revitalization of the cultural life. Finally, it will involve the citizenry in the decision-making process on community development issues and increase their trust towards civil society organizations and local authorities. In other words, the project strives to make the communities a better place to live and for tourists to visit.
- Ensure smooth implementation of all project activities as per the elaborated Project Action Plan and ensure compliance with the project goal and donor requirements ;
- Establish and maintain effective project reporting, evaluation, and communication systems;
- Submit timely, accurate and professional progress reports to the supervisor;
- Oversee the implementation of project activities by the project implementing partners as per the signed Agreements;
- Provide advice and referrals to business owners/ other beneficiaries;
- Provide business training and support with other capacity building initiatives;
- Provide target business owners with follow-up business coaching upon request;
- Actively encourage and support the development of business peer support groups and counsellors;
- Support business clients to start or expand their business by providing tailored advice, information, training, referrals through the coaching process;
- Regularly research business opportunities, community needs and assets in target area;
- Develop a comprehensive database of local networks and service providers that can assist local businesses and the community-based councils with business development;
- Link/ refer individual and group clients to local service providers such as banks and training organisations;
- Create linkages/networks with financial institutions and/ or other organisations or bodies that can assist in stimulating or advancing business development in the target area;
- Support the development of business groups, networks to improve business in local area;
- Intentionally reflect on actions and learn from successes and failures;
- Actively engage with fellow business facilitators for learning and support.
- Implement the project activities as per the Logframe ensuring all documentation is well prepared and submitted (includes, but not limited to tender procedures, employment contracts, purchase contracts, etc)
- Master Degree in Marketing, Economics, Commerce, Business or related field/s
- Good knowledge of community development, empowerment and/or coaching principles and approaches;
- Good knowledge on research & reporting;
- Demonstrated experience in small business development and management, including marketing, financial management and research. (e.g. owning or operating a business, or by providing business development services);
- Demonstrated experience in relationship development, supporting/ empowering and/ or coaching others and networking;
- Demonstrated experience in development, community empowerment, working with community-based organisations;
- Good experience in networking;
- Report writing experience in English (fluent);
- Proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams;
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Armenian and English;
- Computer aptitude and experience with MS Pack;
- Analytical and problem-solving orientation, good interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, adaptability and flexibility;
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a team environment;
- Experience within tourism development projects is preferred;
- Driver’s license and driving experience is preferred;
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically up to 50% of the time;
- Being prepared to often travel to implementation sites as required.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15.09.2018
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: If interested, please send your resume and cover letter in English to email@example.com mentioning Business Facilitator in the subject line. No phone calls please.